Urban Planner - Associate
About this role
Leading Architectural and Urban Design practice are seeking a talented urban planner with approximately 10 years’ professional experience. The right candidate will have excellent understanding of government processes and planning pathways and their implications for design; and ability to communicate that effectively to others in the team.
- Provide strategic direction for a project.
- Routinely stays abreast of planning policy changes and best practice and informs their colleagues and clients.
- In-depth understanding and appreciation of State and local planning policies, strategies and processes and how they influence planning and design.
- Experienced across the statutory planning framework, including planning approval pathways and processes
Skills and experience
- Completed qualifications in urban planning
- Experience on large scale masterplan projects
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the winning of new work
- Team leadership and management skills
- Previous experience writing and editing well structured, plain English reports that are targeted to their audience, accurately reflect the brief and scope
- Experience in structuring and ‘styling’ complex proposals that reflect bid requirements
- Ability to prepare, present and defend project work to stakeholders and community members in a formal setting (eg. District and Local Planning Panels, Design Review, Council meetings)
- Demonstrated ability to organise and run a meeting, and to facilitate community / stakeholder engagement sessions
- Demonstrated ability to extract and synthesise material from a wide range of sources
- Adept in identifying, collating, synthesising and summarising relevant inputs from other technical disciplines including on complex project
- Excellent working knowledge across the EP&A Act and key environmental legislation and performs accurate interpretation of planning legislation and controls.
- Experienced in strategic planning, including project positioning and Planning Proposals.
- Can identify the strategic context, distil direction / opportunities, and develop arguments for a project and direct a team on this.
- Can succinctly convey complex planning advice to clients and other parties/forums, and advise of benefits and risks of alternative approaches.
- Can robustly assess a proposal against the strategic and statutory planning framework and make recommendations to reduce and mitigate impacts.
- Can guide urban designers on the site’s strategic context and planning issues that should be explored through design.
National Design Technology Manager
A national, multi-disciplinary practice is seeking a National Technology Manager to lead the ongoing development and implementation of the practice’s Design Technology Strategy, including Revit and other design technology nationally. This is an incredible opportunity to make a fundamental impact to a national practice with a strong 2020 plan to become a Top 10, Tier 1 Practice.
Senior Associate - Commercial Lead
A well-established national studio is looking for a stand-out Senior Associate to join and lead their commercial focused team here in Melbourne’s CBD. The opportunity offers succession into Partner, and equity further down the line. They are looking for an architect with a strong commercial project portfolio, particularly with tower experience with demonstrated leadership qualities to build a positive team environment, mentor others and drive the practice forward.