About this role
A San Francisco creative design studio is seeking a Design Director for a leadership role in design, brand and projects. Directors must demonstrate extensive working knowledge of internal culture and the design industry at large. A Director must be a strategic thinker with experience managing and leading client assignments. Critical and thoughtful review of design concepts and technical documentation will be required. You will be the direct point of contact on projects for clients and teams.
Directors serve as the torchbearers of vision and assure that every project is meeting the mission. In partnership with the Principals you will help to develop a comprehensive and strategic road map to building and adhering to the design vision of the firm. You must consistently and systematically push the creative processthrough design reviews and have the ability to collaborate across teams. You are responsible for providing leadership within the firm for activities that grow culture and also help to maintain the Studio’s presence in the design community.
- Guide and inspire projects and individuals in an approachable and clear way with a professor-like approach.
- Provide vision, strategic and tactical direction, and design continuity through design reviews, team check-ins and drop in critiques.
- Uphold studio design standards and processes on all project types.
- Foster an innovative and nurturing environment by championing an effective mentoring program.
- Maintain a positive team environment and support our unique culture through integration in internal initiatives and programs.
- Partner with Project Managers to build effective teams based on project type and project load, considering balance of skills and experience.
- Collaborate with Project Manager on project plan and project kick-off.
- Meet with Principals to provide input on business development opportunities and help assess the alignment with our vision.
- Assist with RFP and RFQ responses as well as attend interviews with potential clients.
- Review proposals, design briefs and contracts with the Principal of Business
- Development to have a full understanding of projects they are leading.
- Generate thought leadership of Workbench and help to drive content and involvement across the studio.
- Serve as filter for new product presentations, design initiatives, and product selections in the library.
- Attend client meetings, lead conceptual development and support team on design development and execution.
- Work closely with Principals on recruitment processes to target the highest caliber candidates that embody our culture and values.
- Participate in 90-day performance reviews, career and daily manager reviews, annual reviews and development plans.
- Represent the interests and concerns of the studio and work with Principals to ensure issues are addressed and resolved quickly.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the design process and advanced knowledge of the computer programs used by the studio.
- Communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to leadership and clients.
- Develop influential and collaborative relationships across teams, both internally and externally.
- Attend critical milestone reviews of project teams.
- Maintain positive client relationships and build trust and loyalty in our vision.
- Review billing/fee management with Project Managers to ensure profitability.
- 10+ years of experience in interior design, architecture or graphic design
- Senior Level