Design Principal (Higher Education)
About this role
The design Principal will function as a practice builder, leading the development of the firm’s regional education market with the goal of reinforcing its position as a recognized leader in programming, planning and design of education clients. The scope of the portfolio includes professional schools, business schools, and research labs. The ideal candidate will have advanced knowledge in Architecture and Design management.
- Proven Strong Design Focus with substantial experience writing about the design process and philosophy in a meaningful way that sells the services of the firm to new or existing clients.
- Works together with the Design Director in order to ensure that all education projects meet the firm’s standards of excellence.
- Communicates design, organizes, and leads marketing efforts, providing leadership for projects and clients.
- Participates in business development, always aiming to explore and grow new markets.
- Builds and strengthen client relationships through a comprehensive understanding of their needs.
- Foster an environment of mutual respect and trust among team members of the group as it grows and develops.
- Maintaining active memberships in local or state professional associations, attending conferences and engaging in speaking activities.
- Act as a mentor to Junior staff, coaching and motivating project teams and individuals.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree or Master in Architecture.
- At least 15 years of experience working with education clients, preferably in a design leadership role.
- History of strong and lasting working relationships with clients.
- Ability to make presentations and facilitate design discussions.
- Being able to prioritize the work of others in order to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Professional licensure is a plus but not a requirement.
- A polished and professional presence. Ability to move comfortably in business circles.