Design Manager - Public domain
About this role
This position is responsible for the planning, design and project management of significant public projects with complex urban design, landscape, environmental and heritage issues.
This role will focus on the design phase of project delivery. This role will be responsible for managing collaborative, design led processes that integrate planning, project management and stakeholder engagement seamlessly to deliver optimum outcomes.
- Plan, project manage and implement the delivery of significant public projects from strategic studies to detailed urban elements across all project phases: initiation, development, design and delivery.
- Manage and lead groups of multi-disciplinary professionals on complex projects, effective client liaison, feasibility investigations, design development, community consultation, planning and technical approvals, documentation, construction and certification issues.
- Manage the integration of Major Priorities and Strategic Objectives in urban design, transport planning, land use planning, economic development, environmental and social outcomes in the delivery of projects to ensure coordinated solutions.
- Ensure projects comply with policies and practices regarding design, sustainability, heritage, accessibility, detail and materials and maintenance.
- Plan and implement project management processes and tools for project planning, monitoring and reporting in order to manage change, risks, issues and deliverables within the project agreed time, cost and quality objectives.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects, set and monitor priorities to meet design milestones in a complex and high volume work environment.
- Prepare complex briefs and manage quotations and tenders for external consultant design teams for complex landscape and urban design projects.
- Monitor and manage major consultancy contracts including, design verification, performance monitoring and variations to ensure the project objectives are being achieved, and to take remedial action when required.
- Contribute to the enhancement of the public realm through provision of accurate and timely expert advice and information in relation to public domain infrastructure design to senior management and stakeholders
- Provide expert advice to senior management on the most cost effective and efficient manner of implementing delivery of assigned projects.
Skills and Experience
- Extensive operational experience in a related field (typically eight years plus) demonstrating senior experience in the successful design and delivery of significant and complex urban landscape or public domain projects in the public or private sections
- Qualifications in landscape architecture (or architecture) required
- Postgraduate qualifications in project management or urban design also desirable
- Ability to effectively prepare, project manage and implement the delivery of significant public domain improvement projects from strategy to concept design to detailed design.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills, ability to prioritise and manage workloads to drive outcomes.
- Demonstrated high level application of analytical, creative thinking and problem solving skills in a complex, multidisciplinary environment within a government context.
- Demonstrated ability to readily acquire and apply new information, inspire design outcomes and establish design excellence.
- Superior interpersonal skills in leadership, coordination, negotiation, teamwork and consultation.
- Highly developed ability to seek, analyse and evaluate customer needs and integrate them into the delivery of successful outcomes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to respond to complex situations in a timely, accurate and service oriented manner while maintaining efficiency and professionalism.
- Strategic thinker with an ability to identify and capitalise on opportunities