Senior Technical Designer
About this role
An incredibly creative and friendly studio based in east London are looking for a senior technical designer or draughtsperson to join them and work on eye-catching window and retail displays.
The studio specialises in concept, design and fabrication for retail environments. Projects range from global window roll-outs to pop-up shops & show-stopping bespoke displays.
- Overseeing/advising on all work at the studio giving technical/construction advice and solving problems.
- Bridging the gap between creative design and fabrication.
- Producing technical drawings, CAD/CAM files for CAD/CAM processes.
- Solving technical problems, specifying materials fixings and manufacturing techniques.
- Helping to deliver fully resolved technical/construction drawings to both the in-house construction team and outsourced specialist contractors.
- Managing juniors/freelancers when required.
- Working closely with project managers on budgets and costings for entire project to make sure technical and creative integrity is maintained.
- Being part of a handful of people in the company who oversee quality control on production jobs.
- Liaising with suppliers, clients and project managers to ensure projects are well communicated and on-track when required.
Skills & Experience
- A minimum of 3 years technical design experience preferably within the retail display/shop-fitting or exhibition/events or staging industry.
- An expert knowledge of CAD Software. Rhinoceros 3D would be the ideal.
- Experience in creating 3D models
- Significant experience in creating and reading construction drawings quickly and to a high standard.
- Expert knowledge of CNC processes and how to create drawings for them.
- An active interest in all areas of design, with experience and knowledge in a variety of different design practices.
- An excellent understanding of fabrication, materials and assembly processes.
- Experience in a fast-paced workshop environment - preferably some hands-on workshop experience.
- Expert understanding of carpentry & joinery techniques.
- Great attention to detail.
- Good knowledge & experience of metalwork techniques.
- Broad understanding of other construction/model making/prop-making processes as well as print would be a bonus.
- Ability to accurately site survey and produce work to a high level of accuracy and tolerance.
Interior Architect - Live & Work in Paris
Join an AD100 studio in PARIS and work on projects that designers’ dreams are made of. Expansive budgets, discerning design and unique projects... get your EU passport ready for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!