Senior/ Associate Urban Planner
About this role
Leading Architectural and Urban Design practice are seeking a talented urban planner with approximately 8 years’ professional experience. The right candidate will have excellent understanding of government processes and planning pathways and their implications for design; and ability to communicate that effectively to others in the team.
- Provide strategic direction for a project.
- Routinely stays abreast of planning policy changes and best practice and informs their colleagues and clients.
- In-depth understanding and appreciation of State and local planning policies, strategies and processes and how they influence planning and design.
- Experienced across the statutory planning framework, including planning approval pathways and processes
Skills and experience
- Completed qualifications in urban planning
- Experience on large scale masterplan projects
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the winning of new work
- Team leadership and management skills
- Previous experience writing and editing well structured, plain English reports that are targeted to their audience, accurately reflect the brief and scope
- Experience in structuring and ‘styling’ complex proposals that reflect bid requirements
- Ability to prepare, present and defend project work to stakeholders and community members in a formal setting (eg. District and Local Planning Panels, Design Review, Council meetings)
- Demonstrated ability to organise and run a meeting, and to facilitate community / stakeholder engagement sessions
- Demonstrated ability to extract and synthesise material from a wide range of sources
- Adept in identifying, collating, synthesising and summarising relevant inputs from other technical disciplines including on complex project
- Excellent working knowledge across the EP&A Act and key environmental legislation and performs accurate interpretation of planning legislation and controls.
- Experienced in strategic planning, including project positioning and Planning Proposals.
- Can identify the strategic context, distil direction / opportunities, and develop arguments for a project and direct a team on this.
- Can succinctly convey complex planning advice to clients and other parties/forums, and advise of benefits and risks of alternative approaches.
- Can robustly assess a proposal against the strategic and statutory planning framework and make recommendations to reduce and mitigate impacts.
- Can guide urban designers on the site’s strategic context and planning issues that should be explored through design.
Benefits and culture
- A stimulating design led environment
- A friendly and supportive working environment
- Active wellness program