Senior Building Simulation Strategist
About this role
An internationally recognized design firm is looking for a Senior Building Simulation Specialist to join their Environmental Performance (EP) team at their New York City Headquarters. This person will bring his/her building science expertise to the design of complex architectural and urban projects. This person will be working directly with the EP Director, developing an energy-modeling infrastructure, leading the implementation of energy, thermal, and daylight modeling in projects, and working closely with designers. Other responsibilities include the oversight of sustainability and wellness certifications for projects, such as LEED or WELL, as well as contributing to a broad range of internal and external research and educational pursuits.
- Manage the implementation of design strategies for thermal, energy and daylight performance in ongoing projects, assisting the design team.
- Research and develop custom energy modeling workflows, tools and libraries in the context of a 2030 low carbon design commitment.
- Preparing, running, interpreting and communicating analysis and simulations for climate data, solar radiation, daylight availability, energy use and thermal comfort.
- Develop and implement training and education sessions focused on low carbon design.
- Manage and document sustainable project certifications (LEED, WELL, Passive House, CGB)
- Assist in goal setting and benchmarking of projects under the firm’s AIA 2030 low carbon design commitment.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Building Science, Architectural Engineering, or any other relevant field.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in energy modeling and environmental design (or equivalent amount of academic course work)
- Knowledge of fundamental building science principles, HVAC design, environmental modeling and 3rd party certification processes.
- Passionate about applying principles of sustainable and high-performance design in architecture.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in Rhino and Grasshopper.
- Proficiency with energy, thermal or daylight simulation tools (DIVA, Ladybug/Honeybee)
- Professional experience with full building energy modeling software packages (EnergyPlus, eQuest)
- Basic knowledge of HVAC sizing and modeling.
- LEED, WELL and/or Passive House accreditation are a big plus!
This is a fantastic opportunity if you are passionate about designing and advocating for resilient architectural solutions that minimize GHG emissions, reduce life-cycle impacts and enhance the well-being of the community.
Registered Architect for Boutique Architecture Firm
Opportunity for a design focused registered architect to join a boutique studio with a great work culture. Work on hospitality, master planning, commercial and private residential projects.
Architectural Computing Graduate for a Boutique Architecture Firm
Opportunity for a architectural computing graduate Revit guru to join a boutique studio with a great culture. Have the chance to work on hospitality, master planning, commercial and private residential projects.