Project Designer- Interior Architecture
About this role
A top high-end residential and commercial design studio in San Francisco is seeking a Project Designer to join their team.
The position of PD is more interior architecture focused. You will contribute to the success of this team by assisting in the design and production for schematic, design development, construction administration and project management for all projects. You will be expected to support in the creation of a visual presentation of the concepts developed by the principal designer and communicate the objectives of this design through drawings, sketches, renderings, samples, images. You will also be expected to manage all project related tasks, client meetings and contractor coordination and will act as an assistant to the senior designer(s). You will generally work from the office in San Francisco, but may be asked to travel to and from showrooms and job sites.
- Research and analysis of the client's goals and requirements; and development of documents, drawings and diagrams that outline those needs. Ability to interact effectively with the design team on multiple projects.
- Formulate preliminary space plans and two and three dimensional design concept studies and sketches that integrate the client's needs and are based on knowledge of the principles of interior design and theories of human behavior.
- Oversee the implementation of interior design solutions for each project from concept stage through installation.
- Confirm that preliminary space plans and design concepts are safe, functional, aesthetically appropriate, and meet all public health, safety and welfare requirements.
- Select colors, materials and finishes to appropriately convey the design concept, functional, life-cycle performance, environmental, and safety requirement.
- Manage the interior design resource library and maintains vendor contracts for interior furnishings, fixtures and finishes.
- Select and specify furniture, fixtures, equipment and millwork, including layout drawings and detailed product description; and provision of contract documentation to facilitate pricing, procurement and installation of furniture.
- Prepare specifications and schedules with accurate product information for all furniture, plumbing, appliances, lighting and finishes.
- Prepare construction documents, consisting of plans, elevations, details and specifications, to illustrate non-structural and/or non-seismic partition layouts; power and communications locations; reflected ceiling plans and lighting designs; materials and finishes; and furniture layouts. Ability to field measure and document building condition
- Preparation of construction documents to adhere to regional building and fire codes, municipal codes, and any other jurisdictional statutes, regulations and guidelines applicable to the interior space.
- Coordination and collaboration with other design professionals who may be retained to provide consulting services, including but not limited to architects; structural, mechanical and electrical engineers, and various specialty consultants.
- Observation and reporting on the implementation of projects while in progress and upon completion, as a representative of and on behalf of the client; and punch list items
- Prepare project cost and fee analysis, proposals and review project billing.
Skills and Qualifications:
Excellent presentation skills, including space planning and drawing
Proficiency in AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT and Revit (optional)
Ability to create a set of construction drawings, specifications and schedule
Ability to create and manage Excel spreadsheets
Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, In Design and Photoshop
Design Manager time keeping and billing software
- Task Focused: Delivers legendary service to clients and vendors that meets and exceeds all expectations
- Ethics & Integrity: Adheres to studio values, beliefs and principles of innovation and excellence in design.
- Composure: Remains calm, maintains perspective and responds in a professional manner when faced with tough situations
- Personal Learning: Takes personal responsibility for the continuous learning of new knowledge, skills and experiences
- Dealing with Ambiguity: Able to successfully function during times of uncertainty and changing priorities
- Decision-Making: Makes timely and quality decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment
- Interpersonal Savvy: Builds effective relationships with all people; up, down and sideways, inside and outside of the studio
- Results Oriented: Gets results and achieves goals