Executive Director and Chief Curator - Open House Melbourne
About this role
We are delighted to be partnering once again with Open House Melbourne; an independent, not-for-profit organization that fosters public appreciation for architecture across the State of Victoria. Their vision is to inspire and empower all Victorians to respect and care for place and to champion the power of good design in shaping the future of our built environment.
Essential to their mission is recognising First Peoples’ knowledges and sovereignty, campaigning for sustainability towards a net-zero future and advocating for good design that is inclusive and accessible to all. The organisation is part of the Open House Worldwide Network, founded by Open House London 25 years ago and now in many cities around the world.
The organisation has successfully navigated the coronavirus pandemic years of 2020 and 2021 and made a strong return to in-person programming in 2022. The current leadership has positioned OHM well to continue to flourish and deliver on its vision and they’re now ready to pass the baton onto new leadership.
A respected thought leader and public advocate for the value of design in the built environment. An effective leader and team builder; goal and performance oriented; collaborative, entrepreneurial, innovative, and able to effectively engage a wide range of stakeholders and organisations throughout Victoria.
You will be adept at problem solving, good business management capability and have exceptional communication and influencing skills. An ability to develop new sponsors and partners is very important, and to be able to work with OHM’s Philanthropy and Fund Raising subcommittee.
The role seeks to curate the year-round program cohesively and in-line with contemporary cultural interests, including the thematic pillars of OHM.
• Provide operational leadership and have accountability for the on-time execution and successful delivery of the annual Open House Weekends in Melbourne and regional Victoria, collaborations and year-round programming.
• Review, develop and deliver a robust and inspired annual program that responds to Open House Melbourne’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
• Work with the Board to drive the strategic agenda, update the new strategic plan, and deliver on agreed goals and targets.
•Funding and Financial Sustainability - review and enhance existing funding strategy, further develop funding partnerships, manage annual budget and financial reporting with the oversight from the Treasurer and Business Manager.
• Organizational Profile & Partnerships – Enhance the profile of OHM by establishing strategic program partnerships and relationships with cultural institutional, government departments, design and architecture NGOs. Promote organization purpose and goals through marketing and promotional opportunities.
• Government & Compliance – Report to the board at monthly meetings an when required. Maintain appropriate governance and compliance across all areas of the business. Refine and manage internal work processes, policies and procedures.
• People – effectively manage a small, dedicated team. Maintain employee retention by creating a positive work environment and culture where employees, contractors and volunteers are motivated an inspired to perform at their best.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 2nd December 2022.