Hospitality Project Designer
About this role
Feel and create a sense of place with a notable interior design firm in San Francisco- Join this team as a Hospitality Project Designer. The primary role of the Project Designer contributes success by assisting in the design and production for schematic, design development, construction administration and project management for all projects. You will be expected to support in the creation of a visual presentation of the concepts developed by the Principal Designer and communicate the objectives of this design through drawings, sketches, renderings, samples, images. You will also be expected to assist the Senior Designer in the management of all project-related tasks, client meetings and contractor coordination. You will generally work from the offices in San Francisco, but may be asked to travel to and from showrooms and job sites.
- Under the direction of the Senior Designer, is responsible for the development and realization of project, start to finish
- Primary team member responsible for coordinating documentation packages. With limited supervision, prepare and complete contract documents to meet client program, studio standards, and project budget constraints including Design presentations, Mood boards, 3D Models & views, Rendered plans, elevations, and views, Specifications and drawings, Full set of construction drawings, Finish, hardware, & plumbing selection and specifications, FFE selection, Custom furniture design and documentation, Finish boards and/or boxes, FFE binders
- Present design progress and contract documents internally to Senior Designer, Hospitality Director, and Principal/Creative Director
- Coordinate with outsourced rendering team
- Primary team member responsible for organization of project folder and ensuring filing system adheres to studio standards
- As directed by Senior Designer; Perform construction administration services including site visits, responding to RFIs, reviewing control samples and shop drawings, coordinating with consultants, manufacturers, and contractors, and completing punch list.
- Resolve problems that arise during construction.
- Represent and manage design coordination between clients and consultants.
- As directed by Senior Designer, lead the development and design of entire project areas
- Assist Junior Designers and Interns
You will be designated on smaller projects:
- Work directly with Hospitality Director and Principal/Creative Director, lead team in conceiving of project concept and design to meet client program, studio standards, local code, and project budget constraints
- Act as liaison between Hospitality Director and Principal/Creative Director design team during design process
- Act as liaison between Project Manager and Design Director to review scope, schedule, budget, staffing needs, and project milestones
- Represent and manage design coordination between clients and consultants
- Attend site visits and client presentations and coordination meetings
- Present design presentations to clients and consultants
- Lead team in performing field visits/measurements and construction administration services including site visits, responding to RFIs, reviewing control samples and shop drawings, coordinating with consultants, manufacturers, and contractors, and completing punch list
Research and Development:
- Observe & communicate trends in the hospitality market.
- Attend vendor presentations and inform team of new and innovative products
- Pursue individual professional/skill development
- Contribute to studio development goals
- Attend and represent the studio at industry events/trade shows as required
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years experience in hospitality design or proven skill level
- Strong conceptual design approach
- Knowledge of hospitality design standards and an understanding of hospitality operations
- Architecture or Interior Design degree, accredited 4yr+ program
- Proven organizational abilities and attention to detail with the ability to work on multiple projects across various phases
- Experience in production and coordination of construction drawing sets with knowledge of construction detailing, materials, methods, and codes
- Experience in production and coordination of ff&e specification deliverables/implementation and available vendor/fabricators; SPEXX knowledge preferred
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch Up, MS Office
- Is collaborative, self-motivated, positive, and flexible with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Provides inspiration and motivation for junior staff
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable in interfacing with clients, consultants, vendors and internal staff
- Knowledge of commercial building standards, fire safety codes, ADA codes, and applicable codes for textiles, furnishings, and finishes