Senior Residential designer
About this role
A notable San Francisco Design studio seeks a talented and motivated Senior Designer to assist their residential design team.
The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of experience in residential interior design and excellent presentation and drafting skills. The Designer will work under the Principal and oversee all aspects of the design process – from schematic design to construction documentation and construction management. The Designer will be expected to recommend a visual presentation of the concept and communicate the Principal Designer’s objectives orally and visually, and will manage a team of 3-5 designers and all project related tasks, client meetings and contractor coordination.
- Research and analysis of the client's goals and requirements, and development of documents, drawings and diagrams that outline those needs. Ability to interact effectively with the design team on multiple projects.
- Formulate preliminary space plans, two and three dimensional design concept studies and sketches that integrate the client's needs and are based on knowledge of the principles of interior design and theories of human behavior.
- Oversee the implementation of interior design solutions for each project from concept stage through installation.
- Confirm that preliminary space plans and design concepts are safe, functional, aesthetically appropriate, and meet all public health, safety and welfare requirements.
- Select colors, materials and finishes to appropriately convey the design concept, functional, life-cycle performance, environmental, and safety requirement.
- Manage the interior design resource library and maintains vendor contracts for interior furnishings, fixtures and finishes.
- Select and specify furniture, fixtures, equipment and millwork, including layout drawings and detailed product description; and provision of contract documentation to facilitate pricing, procurement and installation of furniture.
- Prepare specifications and schedules with accurate product information for all furniture, plumbing, appliances, lighting and finishes.
- Prepare construction documents, consisting of plans, elevations, details and specifications, to illustrate non-structural and/or non-seismic partition layouts; power and communications locations; reflected ceiling plans and lighting designs; materials and finishes; and furniture layouts. Ability to field measure and document building condition
- Preparation of construction documents to adhere to regional building and fire codes, municipal codes, and any other jurisdictional statutes, regulations and guidelines applicable to the interior space.
- Coordination and collaboration with other design professionals who may be retained to provide consulting services, including but not limited to architects, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers, and various specialty consultants.
- Observation and reporting on the implementation of projects while in progress and upon completion, as a representative of and on behalf of the client; and punch list items.
- Prepare project cost, fee analysis and proposals, and oversee and review project billings with consideration of roles, responsibilities and add service requests as outlines in project contract.
- Efficiently manage project designers, assistants and interns on project team; demonstrate strong managerial and communication skills.
Key Skills & Requirements:
- Degree in Interior Design
- Minimum of 5 years interior design experience
- Excellent presentation skills, including space planning and drawing
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT
- Ability to create a set of construction drawings, specifications and schedule
- Ability to create and manage Excel spreadsheets
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn time-keeping and billing software
- Experience selecting and specifying lighting, furnishings, hardware, floor/window coverings, materials, and finishes.
- Ability to interact effectively with the design team on multiple projects
- Experience with purchasing and budgets
- Knowledge of trade resources and vendors
Full benefits package including; comprehensive medical, dental, 401k plan, and PTO.
Senior Interior Designer - Hospitality, Residential & Commercial
Esteemed international design firm seeks an innovative and confident Senior Interior Designer to lead their luxury hospitality, residential and commercial projects.