Head of Sustainability - National Architecture Practice
About this role
Our client is a leading National Architectural with a well established reputation for success across a variety of sectors. The Head of Sustainability role is a is a hands-on role which will provide leadership to the practice nationally to drive the Environmental Sustainable Design agenda which aims to provide best practice design outcomes to reduce and mitigate both the embodied and operational carbon emissions in all projects.
The Head of Sustainability will also assist the studio ESD teams through the provision of advice on key projects and maintaining open national communication.
- To inspire the practice's sustainability vision, and develop strategies and objectives
- To develop a Sustainability Action Plan which will under-pin all studios’ sustainability objectives and respond to their obligations as an Architects Declare signatory.
- To maintain statements to be used across a number of platforms, including a ‘Mission Statement’ / ‘Sustainability Ethos’ for website, and text for EOIs/RFTs, and competition/award entries.
- To maintain the Environmental Management System to reflect the vision statement and SAP objectives so that emission reduction strategies and socially sustainable outcomes are embedded into every project.
- To provide knowledge and understanding of the available Sustainability rating tools and software programs and their relevant project application and to identify the relevant training required to support their use across the Studios.
- To liaise with ESD consultants to provide the practice's project leaders and clients with advice on specific project related sustainability goals.
- To advocate for their ESD credentials to new and existing Clients and at external events.
- To identify relevant research subject matter and to liaise with the R & D team.
- To identify and support the ESD representative in each studio who can provide early ESD advice on all projects. Chair monthly reps. meeting and provide project based ESD feedback when required.
- To define the relevant content and support the curation of the in-house ESD knowledge sharing ‘hub’ to enable all staff to access best practice solutions and expertise
- To ensure the practice maintains its status as a Carbon Neutral operation
- To monitor and understand the implications of the continually changing legislation and certification requirements
Knowledge and experience:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills including the ability to strategise a national ESD response and explain complex technical issues to a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience with both public and private sector clients, specifically in the sustainability, low-carbon and resource efficiency, climate change fields.
- Strong design sensibility and experience in delivering integrated Sustainability Initiatives
- Passion for Environment and Sustainability issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to build effective relationships
- Self-driven with strong organisational and time management skills
- Adaptable and forward thinking
- Has experience with, or a good understanding of relevant analytic tools and software
- Degree in Sustainability
- Architectural background
- Work with a talented and passionate team committed to outstanding design outcomes across Australia
- Use your expertise to make a genuine difference
- Shape a newly-created role
- Join a lively work culture, with team events and activities
- Commute to a central location in the CBD
- Celebrate Fridays with drinks and talks
Urban Design Leader
Flex your skills in design, winning work and building your own team. Newly-created, independent role with renowned, international studio. CBD location, bonus incentives, great support. Experience and network within government projects (i.e. transport and infrastructure) advantageous.